Root tip surgery
Sometimes, the root tip of one of your teeth can become inflamed. This can happen if a root canal filling does not seal properly. Bacteria in the jaw can then reach the root tip and cause an inflammation, which can damage your other teeth without you noticing. The only way to remedy this inflammation is by having an oral surgeon perform an apicoectomy.
1. If you have a letter of referral from your dentist, you can schedule an appointment with us. Please bring your referral letter, your ID and a list of any medications you take. Before your first appointment, you will also be asked to fill in a medical questionnaire at home. Typically, we will first do an X-ray and then discuss our treatment plan with you.
2. The doctor will explain what the treatment will consist of.
If necessary, they will also give you a prescription for painkillers,
a mouthwash and other medication, if needed.
3. The assistant will schedule an appointment for the treatment.
On the day of the treatment, please report to the reception desk. The assistant will take you to the treatment room. You will be given an anaesthetic similar to that used by dentists. Please let us know if you are fearful of needles or injections, so that we can take this into account.
1. We will cover you with sterile cloths to keep the procedure as clean and hygienic as possible.
2. During the treatment, you may hear small noises. Some water may also run into your mouth; this is completely normal. If you feel any pain during the treatment, we can always give you extra anaesthetic.
3. If you wish, the assistant can talk you through what is happening during the treatment.
4. Finally, we will do another X-ray to check that the procedure has gone as planned.
After the treatment, the assistant will explain what you need to do:
1. Take a painkiller
2. Cool the affected area
3. Start using the provided mouthwash after 24 hours
While you can still feel the effects of the anaesthetic:
• Do not eat, and allow coffee and tea to cool down sufficiently before drinking
• Do not lift your lip to look at the wound; you may accidentally loosen the stitches
• Do not sit out in the sun
• Do not smoke
• Keep an eye on the swelling
• Brush your teeth just as you usually would
• Start brushing the stitches after a week (they will disintegrate by themselves)
• The assistant will schedule a follow-up appointment six months after the treatment. The doctor will then do another X-ray and assess whether the inflammation has completely disappeared.
If you are concerned about your recovery, please feel free to contact us.
All oral surgery treatments
It only took 1 minute to pull my wisdom tooth and I didn’t feel any pain during or after the procedure.
Pleasant, competent doctors
With respect and care for their patients and their stories. They think in possibilities and persevere where others might give up. They give honest, sincere information.
Customer satisfaction survey 2020: what do our customers say
This clinic has got everything right. The atmosphere is pleasant, the staff are friendly and easy to understand and make you feel at ease. Very professional and pleasant!
They’re calm and collected and engage with you personally.
Calm and expert atmosphere.
An excellent oral surgeon who gave me good advice about my options and explained the entire process step by step. I am very satisfied.
Clear and to the point.
Fantastic clinic with lovely staff
Everyone at this clinic is an expert, from reception desk staff to the doctors
Very friendly and knowledgeable.
Clarity and good information. Expert surgeon.
To help combat my fears and anxiety, they try to make the treatment as pleasant as possible.
Good communicators, professional establishment.
They keep their appointments and tell you exactly what they’re doing during the treatment.
Despite my fears, I felt completely at ease.
Lovely clinic with delightful staff. Despite my fears, I felt completely at ease.
We’re here for you.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call: 070 221 2121
Five of HMC’s young and passionate oral surgeons can now also help rid you of your symptoms at Haaglanden Clinics.