You may find yourself in a situation where you need to have a tooth pulled (extracted) for one of various reasons.
1. If you have a letter of referral from your dentist, you can schedule an appointment with us. Please bring your referral letter, your ID and a list of any medications you take. Before your first appointment, you will also be asked to fill in a medical questionnaire at home.
2. Typically, we will first do an X-ray and then discuss our treatment plan with you. The doctor will explain what the treatment will consist of.
We can usually treat you right away, but in some cases, you may have to schedule a new appointment. The doctor will discuss this with you. If you need to have teeth extracted on both sides, this will usually require two appointments, scheduled about 6 weeks apart. Upper and lower teeth on the same side can generally be extracted in one session.
3. If necessary, you will be given a prescription for painkillers, mouthwash and any other necessary medication.
You will be given an anaesthetic similar to that used by the dentist. Please let us know if you are fearful of needles or injections, so that we can take this into account. We will cover you with sterile cloths to keep the procedure as clean and hygienic as possible. If you wish, the assistant can talk you through what is happening during the treatment.
During the extraction process, you will hear some sounds and may feel a lot of pressure in your mouth. This procedure should not hurt. At the end of the procedure, you will be given a gauze pad to stop the bleeding in your mouth. You must bite down on this gauze pad for at least 30 minutes.
After the treatment, the assistant will explain what you need to do:
•Continue to bite down on the gauze for half an hour
• Take a painkiller
• Cool the affected area
• Start using the mouthwash after 24 hours
• Do not eat, and allow coffee and tea to cool sufficiently before drinking while you can still feel the effects of the anaesthetic
• Keep an eye on the swelling
• Do not sit out in the sun
• Do not smoke
• Brush your teeth just as you usually would
• Start brushing the stitches after a week
• Please note that you will not be able to open your mouth as far as you are used to for a little while.
If necessary, we will also schedule a follow-up appointment.
If you are concerned about your recovery, please feel free to contact us.
All oral surgery treatments
It only took 1 minute to pull my wisdom tooth and I didn’t feel any pain during or after the procedure.
Pleasant, competent doctors
With respect and care for their patients and their stories. They think in possibilities and persevere where others might give up. They give honest, sincere information.
Customer satisfaction survey 2020: what do our customers say
This clinic has got everything right. The atmosphere is pleasant, the staff are friendly and easy to understand and make you feel at ease. Very professional and pleasant!
They’re calm and collected and engage with you personally.
Calm and expert atmosphere.
An excellent oral surgeon who gave me good advice about my options and explained the entire process step by step. I am very satisfied.
Clear and to the point.
Fantastic clinic with lovely staff
Everyone at this clinic is an expert, from reception desk staff to the doctors
Very friendly and knowledgeable.
Clarity and good information. Expert surgeon.
To help combat my fears and anxiety, they try to make the treatment as pleasant as possible.
Good communicators, professional establishment.
They keep their appointments and tell you exactly what they’re doing during the treatment.
Despite my fears, I felt completely at ease.
Lovely clinic with delightful staff. Despite my fears, I felt completely at ease.
We’re here for you.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call: 070 221 2121
Five of HMC’s young and passionate oral surgeons can now also help rid you of your symptoms at Haaglanden Clinics.